Sunny Thoughts™ Free Positive Thinking & Affirmations

Go HERE To Get 105 Free Affirmations

Sunny Thoughts Resources For

Sunny's Dialogue With Friends:

« Del McKenna - Canada - Asks If Sunny Is "OK?" | Main | I Really Enjoy Your Inspirational Sayings - Becky from Maine »

September 05, 2008

Breathe Before You Speak

Hi!
It's been a long time since I've written here.
THANK YOU for checking this out!

BREATHE BEFORE YOU SPEAK
Have You ever watched one of those news programs,
where the interviewer interupts
and in fact talks over the top of
his/her guest?

Why even have the person on the show?

It's even worse when the guest catches the bug
and does the same thing to the interviewer.

Early in life, I read The Autobiography of Ben Franklin
and read about his virtue of SILENCE:
Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself;
avoid trifling conversation.

Later in life, at age 19, I began the study of Yoga.
Yogic Breathing in particular.

I'm not sure how it happened -
or from whom I borrowed the idea ...

But somehow I started practicing being SILENT,
breathing quietly and counting
"one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two,
one-thousand-three" after anyone spoke to me.

The benefit was that I was certain the other person
(whether my friend or foe)... had finished speaking.

Part Two of this practice is to immediately stop speaking,
When or IF You're interrupted.

What did I experience?
Well, it made me a better listener.
It saved me from making a fool of myself.
It was quite a bit of FUN to do!

Over the years I've abandoned this practice.
I don't know why.
Probably because I NEVER really mastered it.

I miss it now.

Would You like to try it?

I'd like to start practicing it again.

So, how about if we challenge each other?
I'll give it a try again, if You will :)

Additional Comment -- From Sunny :)

The people on TV - especially during a heated
political season - or for that matter -
in any interview situation ... could really benefit
from this practice, too.

If a guest did this on one of those argumentative shows,
we could almost imagine the guest being interrupted
time and time again -- only to finally say:

"Why did You invite me to come on Your show,
if You won't allow me to speak?"

That would be funny.
I'd really like to see that!

Hey, Let's both You & I try it out TODAY!

Posted by Sunny at September 5, 2008 11:15 AM

Comments

I have really liked the story. It is interesting, educative, inspiring and encouraging. I will certainly like to practice and try to mould my speaking behaviour accordingly.Thanks very much for your encouraging and emboldening blog. wish you all the very best in life and career.

Posted by: somparkash at September 5, 2008 05:54 PM

Hi!
I don't like being interrupted. LOL
I immediately stop talking when I realize people don't care for what I'm saying. Trying to be a good listener. Some say I am. But I will try "your" exercise anyway.
Bye!

Posted by: Diana at September 5, 2008 11:10 PM

Hi Sunny,

I would love to join you in the silence project. I could use it big time. I used to be a listener and somewhere along the line I became a speaker instead. I feel listening is very important and I need to relearn how to do that.
Thanks,

Sheron Mortensen

Posted by: Sheron Mortensen at September 6, 2008 05:35 AM

Hi,

I agree with you, but in my country during political debate I think that couldn,t be apply.
I like your article and I hope to have time to send you a sign.Love&peace

Posted by: teodorescu at September 6, 2008 07:47 AM

Many thanks Sunny for the breathing before speaking advise, I tried it and I was able to take in all the information being given to me and react in a positive calm response saved myself a lot of frustration by this new communicating skill thanks again my friend love and light mags x

Posted by: Maggie Shriane at September 6, 2008 10:08 AM

Yes, I love this idea and I will do it today (and make it a habit).... It hurts my heart when I'm speaking and someone interrupts needlessly, so with an attitude of grace, I am going to put this great idea into conscious practice. Thank you Sunny!

Posted by: Frances Welsh at September 6, 2008 10:09 AM

Hey Sunny, First of all very sorry for the delay,to reply u back, i use to get very nervous and think negative, but from the time i started getting ur affirmations,it has really worked. Now what ever i think of doing i think it in positive. Thank you so much, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 6, 2008 10:25 AM

Hi Sunny, This is Liza from Dubai, Thanks so much for making me strong with the affirmations, its really working honestly, good job. Thanks Liza

Posted by: Liza at September 6, 2008 10:26 AM